Sunday, April 28, 2013

Getting stuff done...and started.

So, until I finish my stash of sock yarn, you'll keep seeing more of socks. These are made from Schachenmayr, Catania Fine Color. 100% cotton. Now, I'm seriously Not a fan of self striping, but I really like these colors. And since each skein is 50g, about 165m, I figured I'd knit them both toe up. That way, I could make them as long as they allowed or as short as I wanted. Easy, peasy. ...NOT.                                 I started the first sock by finding the end in the center of the skein. Then, having two sets of double pointed size 2's, I prepared to start the second sock at the same time. I looked and hunted and dug for the center of the other skein. No go. So, I set up my ball winder and wound a skein from the outside, twice. That way both socks would have the same color progression just like the factory makes them, right? Sigh. Nope. Guess what I did? Yep. I tore it out and wound the skein. Again.                                          When I was part way up the second foot, I realized that the stripes didn't match. But if I ripped out and re-knit the toes starting an inch along the yarn, "top" down, they would be perfect. You guessed it! I ripped them out backwards. In case you wondered, it comes out easily on the stocking stitch, but the ribbing needs to be picked out. Good times. I do like the resulting socks, though.

These place mats have been on Sophie for Ever. I couldn't figure out the pattern I wanted and finally realized that I didn't know how to make the yarns move the way I wanted without finding another pattern and altering it. Besides, this yarn is another example of using what's in the stash instead of what I'd like to see. The thick weft is eight strands of the 5/2 and the thin is one. Anyway, 5/2 cotton. Warp rep. Eh. They'll do.

And while I was busy hemming placemats, I figured I might as well hem this, too. It's a plaited twill from 8 Shaft Patterns, p. 104, #374, 12 epi. You can see the front and back of this pretty 3/2 cotton (from my stash) baby blanket  I wove it on my Gilly (Gilmore). Anyone having a girl?

And finally (well not really---there's always something more), my hubby and I made another trip to Solvang where I got this canvas on sale. The colors the company chose do Not make me happy, so you can see that I've started playing with color. The water no longer looks like a swamp. I love to see the picture come to life as I work/play.                                         And just so you don't worry that that "finally" was real, I'll admit that I have another pair of socks over half done in my purse. Sophie's getting dressed in a mohair scarf. Suzie, my Majacraft spinning wheel, is in the midst of repairs on her drive belt, but she's wearing some pretty cotton. And there are the early signs of more napkins on Julia. Poor Gilly is naked, though. Okay. Go ahead and worry.

5 comments:

  1. I'm on a sock kick right now too. Just wish I were using up stash yarn, as are you. Certainly would make more sense!!! Love your weaving. you may inspire me to get back to that long lost love. Your projects are so nice!

    You left a question on my blog, but I have no way of emailing you back (blogger doesn't show me how to contact you??) so I will answer your questions about my handspuns here. Sorry - hope that's ok. The top and bottom skeins are Navaho or Chain plied, so the colors are a little less mixed up. The green/blue skein in the middle is a two ply, and there is quite a bit of barber-poling. Sorry I failed with that information. My blog post was getting SOOOOO long! LOL. ttyl - k

    ReplyDelete
  2. your rep placemats are very nice :) the colors are great! rep weave is on my to do list ( i might need to buy more heddles) i would be interested to hear where you got the pattern from,how they challanged you and what you will try differently. i cant wait to see your spun cotton. i just bought the spinning cotton dvd durring the interweave spring sale and am itching to buy some and give it a try. where do you buy your cotton from? any suggestions? im still plugging away on a 10 yard overshot table runner. on my wheel i have a yellow merino/bamboo that is divine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I learned to weave, I learned basics: warping board, warp chains, dressing loom, open shed, beat, close shed, change. I never learned theory. With the place mats I wanted to do warp rep but I didn't even know where to start. I went through my library to dig up all of my patterns and ended up cutting out a chunk of threading that I thought would work. I'm thinking I need to go back to the drawing board with a book on basic theory. I have one, I just don't usually work that way. I prefer to design by choosing a project, then the yarn, then the threading that'll get me there. that's part of the difficulty, now. Because I'm stash busting, I'm using colors I have, not colors I want.

      I love to spin cotton. Using a charkha taught me a lot about the process. It taught me to trust long draw, add some more twist and then give the yarn a little pull (tension) between both hands to see if it was spun enough.

      I'd like to weave up some handspun, cotton yardage, maybe for a skirt. Hmmm... Now, if only there was enough time!

      Delete
  3. I'm thoroughly addicted to knitting socks! Wow, you're a dedicated knitter to start over again. Your socks turned out great. I like the rep placemats that you did, especially the colors that you chose to work with. Sometimes just working with something in the stash feels good and adds more room for new yarn ;-) I LOVE the baby blanket, which is on my to do list. Do you mind sharing what size you made it? Such a soft blending of colors in a neat threading too. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate the thought of growing out of them, so I start my math with the width of my loom. That means 46" before take-up and shrinkage. Then, I aim for about the same in length. They're kind of like giant sampling for me. And since this was stash busting too, that's why there's only one!

      Delete