Sunday, June 23, 2013

Fighting Inertia

As beautiful as the wildflowers in the back yard are, I've been trying to make myself go into the front yard to get some weeding done.

I've finished another pair of socks. My youngest son has claimed these. I think this is going to have to be it for a while. I only have two sock yarns left in my stash, but I just can't face them right now.

Instead, I've been making time for other things. A couple of months ago there was a yarn crawl here in L.A. I insisted I wasn't going to go. Does going to only four stores count as not going?              Anyway, in the last store, I met Donna Nelson . She's been working on making chinchilla fur into a spinnable fiber. Oh, my! or Yum! While we chatted I petted and squeezed and rubbed the luscious stuff. It's a combed blend of 70% cormo, 20% chinchilla and 10% bombyx. She sells it on ETSY. Buy some for yourself for a special treat! 



I used the stylus on my Majacraft to spin up lace weight singles. And here, I was plying it from both ends. I'll post a finished picture as soon as I can get back to it.

And the main reason I haven't touched my looms is this lovely stuff from my stash. It's from Ironstone Warehouse (does that company even still exist?) 78% mohair, 13% wool, 9% nylon and 100% pain in the butt. It's been on Sophie for Months. Just dressing her was WWIII. I couldn't wind the warp onto the warp beam with the lease sticks in, because it got so snarled. The plan was to make a few scarves out of it. Then, the plan was to give it One More Try. If I couldn't get it to unstick, I gave myself permission to toss it. And I NEVER toss anything! I finally got her dressed. Then, I was afraid to even try weaving. What if I couldn't get a clear shed? We've finally made our peace with each other, but next time I weave with a mohair, it'd better be either the  short hair or bald variety! 

2 comments:

  1. Great socks and I bet that your son is excited to have them! I haven't tried weaving with mohair but that looks challenging. Here's hoping that the weaving goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another reason why I'm enjoying our Iowa Rains.... It's too muddy to weed! Works for me.

    Lovely socks. The fiber looks so soft and squishy. Your plying looks so relaxing. But that loom!!! A weaver's nightmare! Good luck with that! I look at my loom on occasion....some day.

    Oh - and yes, you really do need to investigate Ravelry. Lots going on there. Gives me tons of inspiration. Luckily I am retired and on occasion when a good part of my day gets sucked away by Ravelry, well, it's not too much of a problem. :)

    ReplyDelete