Sunday, June 23, 2019

Learning



There's been a lot of learning happening.
Last month, I went to WEFF. One of the vendors taught me how to use this tool for Andean plying. It allows one to ply from both ends of a piece of yarn at the same time, without a tangled mess. 
Maybe I should learn some self control. Here is only some of the fiber I bought there.
I'm getting better at making diaper covers.

I don't know if this counts as fiber art for Spinzen, but here's my grandbaby using my inkle loom to learn to walk.


My friend works at an elementary school that has a massive garden. They grew the cotton you see here in the basket. She invited me to their school fair to demo the processing of it.




I spun this small bit from their homegrown cotton.

My nephew came for a visit and sat down to learn to spin.

 And my sister-in-law couldn't put the Inkle loom down.











Sunday, May 19, 2019

Spring

We've had a lovely spring. With all the rain last winter, everything is in bloom.


Artichoke and painted lady
Wisteria and roses.
Amaryllis and wild flowers
The yardage I was working on is now a tallis bag for my niece.
Next up is a sample for a baby wrap. For some reason, the edge threads keep breaking. I don't think it's the temple, as I always use one. It could be that the yarn is too old. I'm just not sure. So, right now, it's just sitting while I dither.
My medical alert bracelet broke, so I spent some time in the bead store. And while I was on a beading kick...
I went back to and old UFO (unfinished object/project). I stopped knitting this, years ago, because I didn't like the way it looked with the white yarn in the background. Now, I'm shifting the beads from the white to the black yarn. The beads from the bag will be moved too, after I unknit it.
The sweater I'd just started last time I posted is finished. I made some minor changes to the pattern. The sleeves are longer and the body shorter.

Monday, March 11, 2019

Puttering

It feels like I've just been puttering, doing small projects.
For starters, some years ago, I wove this yardage for curtains. I don't remember why I took them down, but our old front door curtains needed to be replaced and they did the trick!
I finished the last baby blanket on Sophie.
And I've been playing with more of the crocheted creatures from Edward's Animals. Here's a Lakeland Terrier,
 
a Cocker Spaniel,
and a gray cat.
 
My grandbaby needed a hat for Groundhog Day.

And he definitely needed a Dude sweater!


This may not look like puttering to you, but for whatever reason, this time around, each step to dress Julia has felt like a separate project. This Tencel basketweave will be yardage.
 
This is the first time I've ever knitted up a swatch and actually washed it. My usual is to knit it up, measure to make sure I'm getting the right number of stitches per inch and rip it back out.

I just finished spinning this fiber with Gingie and plying it with Suzie.

And next up is this cotton.
This "wool" was spun up, but not plied, because I didn't know what I wanted to do with it. Typical. Anyway, when I realized I needed a hat, I went ahead and took the singles and Navajo plied it (finger crocheting the spun fiber while spinning it some more). 

Knitting it up took no time, so, here we are!
 

Monday, December 31, 2018

Loose Ends

I've been cleaning up loose ends.
I made a Chanukah hat with pom poms (as requested) for my grandbaby.
While his Mama read a page in her book, he decided to check out his new hat.

I took care of that "loose end" by making tassels. They should be harder to pull apart.

Footnote. I finally got the numbers right for a basic sock pattern that fits.
I wove this color and weave (the weaving is simple "over/under", the design appears in the cloth, because of the color order or the threads), chenille scarf with Julia. It's been sitting unfinished for a while. After a few washings, chenille fringe tends to lose its fluff and look like a rat's tail. So, I decided to go ahead and just hem it.
One of my spare time, knitting projects has been this shawl.
With the left-over yarn, I'm weaving a scarf on Julia.

I didn't realize how long ago I dressed Sophie for these blankets on her drawloom. It was back in December of 2017! Here they are, finally off, December 2018!
When I take cloth off my looms, I almost always use my serger to protect the raw edges before putting the cloth in the washing machine. This is the first time I've ever had that stitching fail to hold. 
But I was able to get them all hemmed and laid out to photograph:
At which point, my daughter's cat promptly walked across them all and sat on...
You guessed it!
I found a lot of the designs I used on Pinterest. I'd post them with links, but unfortunately many of them don't have active links for me to cite where they originated.
the cats

an optical illusion

  transportation

the bees (Craftsy.com)

stars
 and the roses.
The others are just standard designs I've seen or drawn.
zig zag

plaid ish

and shapes.
This one's already found a new home.
More loose ends:
After cutting the blankets off of Sophie and taking down the drawloom pattern heddles (that gave me about 12 inches more of usable warp), I had something like 36-42 inches (I should have measured) of yarn per end left on the loom. I didn't want to just toss it, so by using a weaver's knot, I'm hoping that I'll have extended each warp end enough to squeeze out one more baby blanket.

Let's see how far I get with it.