Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Head, Shoulders, Knee Socks and Toes

I've been sitting (emphasis on "sitting"), making so many things, that I should get up and exercise with the kids: ♪head, shoulders, knee socks and toes.🎵

We know how short the winters in California can be, so when a request was submitted to the management for a sweater with a hood ("I grew out of the last one"), I had to jump on it. I knit this 80's or 90's Pingouin design in just under three weeks!


Wearing a mask, I went into a store and bought this yarn, not realizing how much it smelled. I couldn't knit with the yarn until I'd made it into a skein (hold hands out at shoulder distance apart and wrap the yarn around them over and over and...), washed it, left it to air out and off-gas and finally turn it into a ball, again.

I couldn't knit with this right away either. But that's because when I bought it, it was a carded yak/silk fiber from Alexandra at WEFF. I had the joy of spinning it, followed by knitting up this deliciously soft yarn!

I've never made knees socks before. These were a treat. I bought the yarn at a new LYS (local yarn store), The Knitting Lounge. This is  Uneek Sock by urth yarns. The yarn is hand-dyed and self-striping. And I did something else new with these. If you look at the sock on the right, you might see that the toe is shaped for the left foot. That's right (correct)! Like shoes, these socks are not interchangeable.


Now, if you're thinking everything goes smoothly every time, pshaw! First we knit, then we rip. Then, we knit again.

All better. This is another self-striping yarn. 

Some of my hand knit socks are 20 plus years old. I saw this technique on Youtube. You see, there was a hole...

...and then there wasn't!

So far, this little piggy has stayed home. She was made from a kit I picked up last summer.

I had a box of old fabric that either needed a new home or to be re-purposed. This cloth used to be a valance in our kitchen. I took out the hems and cut it into strips. Then, Sophie, my loom, and I gave each other the eye until I finally put on my big girl panties and braved asymmetry...


together.


When we were done, I learned a new technique for finishing the hems of the rag rugs. It's called a Philippine edge. It's almost like making a braid along the fell of the cloth.

Now that the rugs are done, I've been enjoying looking at them displayed like this too much to put them on the floor. That should change soon. The yarn for my next warp will be here tomorrow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment