Monday, August 31, 2015

Road Trip

 Clearly, I was not as prepared for our 2 1/2 week road trip as I'd thought. I forgot to wind the skeins at home and hubby was busy driving (the nerve). So...
ab work a.k.a. sit-ups. Also, there was this little issue that I didn't like the gauge I was getting with the only needles I'd brought. We were forced to stop at the nearest store.
I did finish the linen-paper bag. I made it bigger than the Habu pattern calls for. Unfortunately, it wasn't big enough to use up all the yarn. Hmmm. What to do next with the left overs.             And did you notice what it's hanging on in the photo? Yep! Our first planned stop was to visit Joanne and Ed at Glimakra USA, in Montana. We brought home a warping reel and, here's a hint...     
a loom extension and...
  a DRAWLOOM!!! I'm SO Excited! These pictures were taken at Joanne's. I can't take mine out of the boxes at home until I finish a promised project. Focus. Focus!
From there we went east. These rugs were at the Crazy Horse Museum.

And this was a stop we Had to make in Iowa.


Next time someone says, "Your loom must take up a lot of space in your house."....

In Kolona, Iowa, there were quilts on the sidewalk

and on the barns.

Iowa! Need I say more?! How could it get any better? So, after this we headed back west.


Coverlet shown at Chimney Rock, was brought to Nebraska from Ohio in a covered wagon in 1862.

This and the next four pictures were taken at Cove Fort, Utah









The only actual fiber purchase I made on the whole trip was in Moab, Utah. It seems there was this yarn shop across the street from our hotel...             A good trip!

And I did come home to finishing spinning the silk hankies I've been picking at forEver!


5 comments:

  1. Well done, Karen. You're such a good blogger! A pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen I am so jealous of your new drawloom attachment!!!! Looking forward to seeing what you create with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post!! Thanks so much for sharing the photos with us. I love seeing where others are traveling, and to be able to see so much weaving history must have been great. I laughed so hard to see your feet holding the yarn :-) How neat to see the quilt blocks on the barns as you drive along. Congrats on your new weaving equipment, they sound like they'll be a lot of fun to use!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun trip and to get a weaving mill tour - bonus! How do you like your warping reel?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to read more about your new drawloom, hioe you'll post some pictures.
    Happy weaving!
    maliz

    ReplyDelete